Emotional intelligence: why it matters and how to teach it
Teaching young people skills such as active listening, self-awareness and empathy can equip them to succeed both academically and socially…
- Start the day with a check-in.
- Use story time for teachable moments.
- Work in Partnership
- Teach them how to work in group
- Nurture a culture of kidness
- Give them new words to say
- Set up a Peace Place
- Teach your students how to manage conflict with peer mediation.
- Use anchor charts to teach social-emotional skills.
- Practice lots of role-play.
- Allow for talk time.
- Play games to build community.
- Build community with teams.
- Teach them to monitor their own progress.
- Hold class meetings.
- Make space for reflective writing.
- Encourage expression through art.
- Assign interview projects.
- Put them to work.
- End each day with a checkout